SkyDemon Version History
This page details the significant changes made to all SkyDemon platform products from one version to the next. The release date given generally
corresponds to our PC and Android products; the release date for our iOS product may be slightly different due to Apple's approval process.
View changes for:
4 Oct 2022
- Mac support enhanced (iOS)
Previous versions of SkyDemon have worked on Mac M1 computers but not all features worked properly. In this version all features work, and macs are treated the same as PCs for licensing purposes.
- Weather animations updated (iOS, Android, PC)
We have replaced the old weather time slider with a simple Animate button. When animating, SkyDemon will loop through the previous three hours and the next hour, showing the wind, rainfall and flyable conditions applicable at those times.
- Nearby airfields offering an ATIS are now displayed in the Radio tab. (iOS, Android)
- Airspace highlighting updated (iOS, Android, PC)
When highlighting a piece of airspace from What's Here or the Warnings tab (among others) it is now more clearly brought to your attention.
24 May 2022
- Direct To Overhauled (iOS, Android)
Each airfield now has a mini diagram, summary of each runway and rotating arrow pointing to its relative bearing. We also now highlight airfields in green if you can likely glide to it from your current position.
- Waypoint Searches in Flight Sorted by Proximity (iOS, Android)
Sorting by proximity (rather than alphabetically, as in planning mode) helps you to find the most likely candidate fast when ATC advise you to route via a specific waypoint.
- Previous and Next Buttons in Logs (iOS, Android)
When viewing a flight log there are now Previous and Next buttons so you can cycle between logs without exiting the screen.
- Virtual Radar Empty Size Improved (iOS, Android)
Following on from our feature where you can resize virtual radar, the empty display (shown before you have planned a route) is now much thinner, leaving more map to explore.
- Route Export to KML (iOS)
When Sharing a planned route, it is now output in KML format alongside existing formats. This format is easily viewable in Google Earth which also includes a fly-through feature so you can simulate your planned flight against realistic scenery.
- SkyDemon is now translated into Hungarian (iOS, Android)
11 Apr 2022
22 Mar 2022
10 Mar 2022
- Forecast cloud thickness is now illustrated in virtual radar when Flyable Conditions is enabled (iOS, Android, PC)
Previously, only the cloud ceiling was graphically depicted. With our new data, you can see the whole extent of the forecast lowest layer of cloud.
- It is now possible to change the height of the virtual radar (iOS, Android)
To do this, slide your finger up and down in the left-hand margin of virtual radar.
- Frequency monitoring codes are detailed better in the Pilot Log and the Radio tab (iOS, Android, PC)
You'll see these shown with two lines, the first showing the callsign and frequency, and the second showing the squawk.
- UK Frequency monitoring codes are now shown in the What's Here screen (iOS, Android)
These are UK areas where monitoring a designated frequency and wearing a designated squawk is recommended.
- It is now possible to log takeoff manually from the Logging menu (iOS, Android)
This can be helpful for pilots whose aircraft characteristics mean that SkyDemon does not always log takeoff automatically
25 Jan 2022
- NOTAMs that are less relevant to your route have been moved to the end of the briefing (iOS, Android, PC)
A new General Information heading has been added to NOTAM briefings, and those bulletins that cover entire countries with general information are now under that heading, leaving more specific and relevant NOTAM towards the beginning.
- UK GAR and police notification guidance has been updated (iOS, Android, PC)
This guidance lets you know when submission of a GAR or notification of police is necessary for a flight arriving into, or departing from, the UK.
- Verbal alerts when a new METAR is received for an airfield of interest when flying (iOS, Android, PC)
Airfields of interest are those attached to your route in the Airfields tab. If a new METAR is received in flight, either via a mobile data connection or through a traffic receiver, a verbal alert will let you know.
10 Dec 2021
5 Oct 2021
- Depiction of NOTAMs has been improved on the main map and in virtual radar (iOS, Android, PC)
Where polygon(s) have been extracted from a NOTAM these are now used to depict the NOTAM in virtual radar and trigger warnings in flight where necessary.
- It is now possible to rename a turning point that is not associated with a waypoint (iOS, Android, PC)
Choose Rename Turning Point from the What's Here menu to give a name to a turning point that would otherwise be labelled with its raw coordinates in the Pilot Log.
- References to AICs within NOTAMs are now hyperlinked (iOS, Android, PC)
Clicking on the hyperlink takes you straight to the list of AICs for the country with the relevant AIC highlighted.
- You can now use a two-fingered long press on the map to bring up the Map Ruler (Android)
- FIXED: Some iOS 15 issues (iOS)
17 Jun 2021
- The Logs dropdown now prompts for feedback if you've recently flown to an airfield for which we have little data (iOS, Android, PC)
You'll see a banner at the top of the dropdown making it easy to briefly contribute data for the benefit of other pilots.
- Find a Destination now includes badges for the most popular airfields in each country (iOS, Android, PC)
This is useful if you are flying to a new country and want to find out the places most other people go to.
- FIXED: Connections to PilotAware could fail to reconnect after locking the device (iOS)
24 May 2021
- Added separate support for third-party traffic receivers Air Avionics AT-1 and PowerFLARM Fusion (iOS, Android, PC)
- FIXED: SkyDemon could crash when opening the pilot log (iOS, Android, PC)